Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Book Review: Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Amazon Page
I finished this book over this past weekend and absolutely loved it. I thought the story was funny, cute, and I really liked the main character, Hudson Avery's snarky personality. I think one of my absolute favorites of this book is the cover. It's not easy to see on camera or the Goodreads cover, but there's a sparkly-sheen over the sugar and puzzle-piece heart cookie (which I also love). It's a very unique and beautiful cover and it's not cheesy, it's the perfect YA cover.

One of my favorite characters in this book was Hudson's little brother, Bug. He was so cute and funny and added an extra special touch to the book. I also really enjoyed Dani (Hudson's BFF) and Josh's (Hudson's "friend") characters in the book. I thought Dani was also very hilarious and Josh was so sweet and cute and ugh! Perfection. :)

I didn't like Hudson's dad or her mom. I didn't like her dad for obvious reasons (cheating on his wife and then leaving his family), but I especially didn't like her mom. I thought that her priorities were a little out of sync. She was more worried about her business than the pressure it was putting in her daughter. The fact that Hudson, who is just a kid, had to worry about gas bills and the like was very unsettling to me. I thought that her mom should of realized that what she was doing, was hurting Hudson. I didn't like Will Harper either. I thought he was shady from the beginning and had ulterior motives. I also didn't like him with Hudson, but that was probably because I was Team Josh. ;) Overall, he was okay by the end, but still not my favorite.

I did like Hudson's character, but I wished that there would have been some more character development throughout the book. I thought there was a significant amount by the end, but I think there could of been more.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book and I gave it four stars. Can't wait to read more from Sarah Ockler; I currently own her novel, The Book of Broken Hearts, and may start that here in a few weeks. :) :)

Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances... a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.

So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life... and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last...

Sarah's Amazon Page

Other works by Sarah Ockler: 
Twenty Boy Summer
Fixing Delilah 
The Book of Broken Hearts
#Scandal (newest release)
The Summer of Chasing Mermaids (releasing on June 2nd, 2015)


If you are curious as to what other books I’ve read, or want to read head on over to my Pinterest page where you can see all of those amazing books! You can also friend me on GoodReads for even more book goodness, and like the HEA…Book Blog Facebook page and follow HEA's Twitter page to keep up to date on book teasers and other blog awesomeness. You can also find me on Tumblr, where I post other blog related items. Check it out!!

Until next time...

Have an "unexpectedly phenomenal" day and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget