Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Bookaholic's Not-So-Anonymous #1 (aka Book Haul #1) :)

I have to mention how much I love the spine of
Zac & Mia! It's gorgeous!

So, as we have established I have a book buying problem, whether its hardback, paperback, ebook, doesn't matter. If it's a book and I think it looks good, I will buy it. I recently signed up for BAM!'s Millionaire's Club discount card, so I got a ton of coupons in my inbox yesterday. The itching started at about midnight last night when I went on Amazon and GoodReads and started browsing. So, I went, and I bought. Plus, I went the other day, like literally two days ago........ Any who, I bought two books on Monday, plus the membership, and then I bought seven (Yes, you read that right.) books today. I've also been talking about The Longest Ride, for the past few days and that's because on Friday the 13th, I went to BN and bought that. In my defense, I had a 15% off coupon and it expired that day, so I got the book for about a dollar off. That makes it okay, right? No? Oh well. Needless to say, I have a fairly large (for me) book haul for you all today! Please enjoy, while my bank account weeps...



FRIDAY: 

1. The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks. I will have a review up for this book soon, but in the meantime please enjoy the trailers for the movie that comes out on April 10th in the U.S.! And can I just say, Scott Eastwood? Sweet baby Jesus...gimme, gimme!! :) :) 

 
Ira Levinson is in trouble. At ninety-one years old, in poor health and alone in the world, he finds himself stranded on an isolated embankment after a car crash. Suffering multiple injuries, he struggles to retain consciousness until a blurry image materializes and comes into focus beside him: his beloved wife Ruth, who passed away nine years ago. Urging him to hang on, she forces him to remain alert by recounting the stories of their lifetime together – how they met, the precious paintings they collected together, the dark days of WWII and its effect on them and their families. Ira knows that Ruth can’t possibly be in the car with him, but he clings to her words and his memories, reliving the sorrows and everyday joys that defined their marriage.

A few miles away, at a local rodeo, a Wake Forest College senior’s life is about to change. Recovering from a recent break-up, Sophia Danko meets a young cowboy named Luke, who bears little resemblance to the privileged frat boys she has encountered at school. Through Luke, Sophia is introduced to a world in which the stakes of survival and success, ruin and reward -- even life and death – loom large in everyday life. As she and Luke fall in love, Sophia finds herself imagining a future far removed from her plans -- a future that Luke has the power to rewrite . . . if the secret he’s keeping doesn’t destroy it first.

Ira and Ruth. Sophia and Luke. Two couples who have little in common, and who are separated by years and experience. Yet their lives will converge with unexpected poignancy, reminding us all that even the most difficult decisions can yield extraordinary journeys: beyond despair, beyond death, to the farthest reaches of the human heart.


MONDAY: 

2. Afterparty by Ann Redisch Stampler. I actually found this book in the bargain section at BAM! and the hardback for $4.97! I thought that was a pretty good deal and I had been eyeing that book for while, so I justified it in my head. And the girl's name is Emma, so of course I had to get it. 

Emma is tired of being good. Always the dutiful daughter to an overprotective father, she is the antithesis of her mother -- whose name her dad won't even say out loud. That's why meeting Siobhan is the best thing that ever happened to her...and the most dangerous. Because Siobhan is fun and alluring and experienced and lives on the edge. In other words, she's everything Emma is not.

And it may be more than Emma can handle. 

Because as intoxicating as her secret life may be, when Emma begins to make her own decisions, Siobhan starts to unravel. It's more than just Dylan, the boy who comes between them. Their high-stakes pacts are spinning out of control. Elaborate lies become second nature. Loyalties and boundaries are blurred. And it all comes to a head at the infamous Afterparty, where debauchery rages and an intense, inescapable confrontation ends in a plummet from the rooftop... 

This explosive, sexy, and harrowing follow-up to Ann Redisch Stampler's spectacular teen debut, Where It Began, reveals how those who know us best can hurt us most.






3. A Bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks. I'm loving TLR so much that I decided to pick up another one of his books. I should note that I haven't ever found a book by NS that I've been able to finish. I know, I know. HE's NICHOLAS SPARKS EMMA!! I've just always preferred the movies, but I've been pleasantly surprised by TLR, so fingers crossed!!
                                               

Miles Ryan's life seemed to end the day his wife was killed in a hit-and-run accident two years ago. As deputy sheriff of New Bern, North Carolina, he not only grieves for her and worries about their young son Jonah but longs to bring the unknown driver to justice. Then Miles meets Sarah Andrews, Jonah's second-grade teacher. A young woman recovering from a difficult divorce, Sarah moved to New Bern hoping to start over. Tentatively, Sarah and Miles reach out to each other...soon they are falling in love. But what neither realizes is that they are also bound together by a shocking secret, one that will force them to reexamine everything they believe in--including their love.



In A Bend in the Road, Nicholas Sparks writes with a luminous intensity about life's bitter turns and incomparable sweetness. His affirming message carries a powerful lesson about the imperfections of being human, the mistakes we all make, and the joy that comes when we give ourselves to love.




TODAY:


4. Zac & Mia by A.J. Betts. I've also been eyeing this book for a long time and decided that because I had a coupon and could essentially get the hardback for $7.99 (I had $10 off $50 coupon) instead go $17.99, that I would finally pick it up. It's described as TFIOS meets Eleanor & Park, which I love both of those books and I'm super excited tor read it!!
                                           

The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park in this tough and tender young adult novel that's a lot about love (and a little about cancer).


Winner of the 2012 Australian Text Prize



"When I was little I believed in Jesus and Santa, spontaneous combustion, and the Loch Ness monster. Now I believe in science, statistics, and antibiotics." So says seventeen-year-old Zac Meier during a long, grueling leukemia treatment in Perth, Australia. A loud blast of Lady Gaga alerts him to the presence of Mia, the angry, not-at-all-stoic cancer patient in the room next door. Once released, the two near-strangers can't forget each other, even as they desperately try to resume normal lives. The story of their mysterious connection drives this unflinchingly tough, tender novel told in two voices.




5. Bad Romeo (Starcrossed #1) by Leisa Rayven. I just saw this one sitting on the shelf with this totally amazing cover and was like, I need that book on my shelf. Then I read the synopsis and was like, "Yep, I'm buying it."                                                                               

           
When Cassie Taylor met Ethan Holt at acting school, sparks flew. She was the good girl actress. He was the bad boy about campus. But one fated casting choice for Romeo and Juliet changed it all. Like the characters they were playing, Cassie and Ethan's romance seemed destined. Until he broke her heart and betrayed her trust. Now the A-list heartthrob is back in her life and turning her world around. One touch at a time. 

Cast as romantic leads once again, they're forced to confront raw memories of the heartbreaking lows and pulse-pounding highs of their secret college affair. But they'll also discover that people who rub each other the wrong way often make the best sparks.



Now, I went on a little "Abbi Glines Buying Binge" and bought four of her books. Two of them I've already read (e-copies) and the other two I had been wanting to read, so...I bought them, obviously. :) 

6. The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines. I already had the second book (The Vincent Brothers) after finding int he bargain section last summer and I found this one in the bargain section, too, so I got it. 
                                         
Ashton is getting tired of being good, of impressing her parents and playing ideal girlfriend to Sawyer Vincent. Sawyer is perfect, a regular Prince Charming, but when he leaves town for the summer, it’s his cousin Beau who catches Ashton’s eye. Beau is the sexiest guy she’s ever seen, and even though he’s dangerous, Ashton is drawn to him.

Beau loves his cousin like a brother, so the last thing he wants to do is make a move on Sawyer’s girl. Ashton is off-limits, absolutely. That’s why he does his best to keep his distance, even though he’s been in love with her forever. When Ashton wants to rekindle their childhood friendship in Sawyer’s absence, Beau knows he should say no.

Ashton and Beau don’t want to hurt Sawyer. But the more they try to stay away from each other, the more intense their urges become. It’s getting way too hard to resist....


7. Breathe (Sea Breeze #1) by Abbi Glines. I have actually read the third and fifth books in this series and have been wanting to read the other ones, especially since they are companion novels that can be read out of order. I haven't read a lot of AG and want to start because I only ever hear good things about her books!
                                               
Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.

Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationships never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.


8. Because of Low (Sea Breeze #2) by Abbi Glines. I decided while I was there to pick up book 2 because it's actually one of the ones I've been the most curious about. We hear about the two characters on this book in book 3 and their story intrigued me and I finally will know what happens!!
  
Marcus Hardy had hoped to enjoy a year away at college while he put the summer he’d rather forget behind him. But instead, he’s jerked right back to the coastal town of Sea Breeze, Alabama due to a family crisis. His dear ol' dad found himself a girlfriend only a few years older than Marcus. So now his sister needs help dealing with their mother who is mentally falling apart. The only bright spot to returning is the fascinating red head who sleeps over several times a week. The problem is she's sleeping in bed with his new roommate, Cage York. 

Willow “Low” Foster needs a place to live. Running to Cage’s apartment every time her sister kicks her out isn’t exactly a long term solution. Juggling her courses at the local community college and a part time job doesn’t produce excess income. But Cage has a new roommate and suddenly sleeping over at her best friend’s apartment isn’t such a bad thing. Not when she gets to see those sexy green eyes of Marcus Hardy’s twinkle when he smiles at her like he wants her there. 
Even though Cage seems a little territorial where Low is concerned, Marcus finds time to spend with Low without upsetting his roommate. Cage may use his small college baseball star persona to sleep with every hot female in his path but he’s still under the disillusion that when he’s through sowing his wild oats, he’s going to marry Low. Marcus intends to change that assumption for both Cage and Low. Until his carefully laid plans come crashing down with a revelation he never expected. He’ll have to choose between Low or his family. Because once the truth comes out.... there’s no other choice.


AND FINALLY....
9. While it Lasts (Sea Breeze #3) by Abbi Glines. This is another one that I've already read and saw in the bargain section for $2.97 and decided to pick it up. That actually got me to buy the other books, so then I had them all. I know ridiculous, but what can you do? Haha. :) Side note: this book is actually being made into a movie, you can get updates by following Abbi on Instagram, or at least that's where I've gotten them. I'm sure she posts stuff on her website and other social media sites. 
Maybe driving home after a few (or more) shots of tequila had been a bad idea, but hell, he did it all the time. The cops had to have been freaking bored to have pulled him over. He wasn’t even swerving! That’s Cage York’s story and he’s sticking to it.

Unfortunately, his baseball coach isn’t buying it. Cage has a free ride to the local junior college for baseball -- or he did, until he’d gotten a DUI. Now, Cage has to decide: does he drop out and give up his dream of getting noticed by a college in the SEC, and possibly making it into the Major Leagues -- or does he give in to his coach’s demands and spend his summer baling hay?

Eva Brooks planned out her life step by step when she was eight years old. Not once over the years had she lost sight of her goals. Josh Beasley, her next door neighbor, had been the center of those goals. He’d been her first boyfriend at seven, her first kiss at ten, her first date at fifteen, and her first tragedy at eighteen. The moment she’d received the phone call from Josh’s mother saying he’d been killed along with four other soldiers just north of Baghdad, Eva’s carefully planned life imploded in the worst way possible.

Cage isn’t real happy with his closet-sized bedroom in the back of a foul smelling barn, or his daily interactions with cows, but he knows that if he doesn’t make his coach happy then he can kiss his scholarship goodbye. Only a sick and twisted man would decide his punishment was to be working on a farm all summer. No hot babes in bikinis waiting to meet a Southern boy to make her vacation complete. Just him and the damned cows.

Oh -- and an uptight, snarky brunette with the biggest blue eyes he’s every seen. But she doesn’t count, because as hard as he’s tried to charm her out of her panties - he’s pretty sure she’d rather see him hung from the rafters than let him get a taste of her pretty little lips.


Whew! That was a lot of books! My fingers hurt from typing, so I'm going to go and read. Lord knows I have enough... :) 

If you are curious as to what other books I’ve read, or want to read head on over to my Pinterest page where you can see all of those amazing books! You can also friend me on GoodReads for even more book goodness, and like the HEA…Book Blog Facebook page to keep up to date on book teasers and other blog awesomeness. You can also find me on Tumblr, where I post other blog related items. Check it out!!

Until next time...

Have a wonderful day and happy reading!



P.S. - Can we just take a moment to relish these beautiful book covers..........
AHH! I love them, so much!!













No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget