Friday, February 20, 2015

Movie Review...

The DUFF

I read The Duff, last year and absolutely loved it! I thought it was a unique take on a common story. You know the one, "Ugly" Girl (who's actually really pretty) falls for the Popular "Insert Sport Here" Jock. That being said, I was really excited for the movie. I loved the casting choices and thought the trailers and MAJOR PROMOTIONS were interesting. However, I'm sad to say that I didn't like the movie as much as the book. However (again), the movie was good and I laughed a lot while watching it, as did the others around me. 

I LOVED the character of Mr. Arthur, played by Ken Jeong. I loved him in "The Hangover" and thought he added something special to the movie. He was the quirky teacher that helped Bianca overcome being labeled "The Duff". 

Let's Compare:

THE BOOK: 


Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. 

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him. 

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.


THE MOVIE: 

Bianca is a content high school senior whose world is shattered when she learns the student body knows her as 'The DUFF' (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) to her prettier, more popular friends. Now, despite the words of caution from her favorite teacher, she puts aside the potential distraction of her crush, Toby, and enlists Wesley, a slick but charming jock, to help reinvent herself. To save her senior year from turning into a total disaster, Bianca must find the confidence to overthrow the school's ruthless label maker Madison and remind everyone that no matter what people look or act like, we are all someone's DUFF. - Written by CBS Films (found here)


Overall, there were some major differences between the two. In the book, Bianca (played by Mae Whitman) and Wes (Robbie Amell) form a more "Friends-W/-Benefits" relationship, while in the movie it's different. B and Wes form an alliance where she helps him pass science and he "Un-Duffs" her. I could totally see why they changed this, it made the book more steamy and less PG-13. I do wish they would of played that up a little bit more, but probably for rating purposes, and to reach a younger audience it was changed. Another difference is, her parents. In the book, Bianca lives with her dad who is emotionally depressed because her mother has left them to, I believe, be an author/motivational speaker (Not 100% sure). Whereas in the movie, Bianca lives with her mother after her dad left. We don't find out too much about her dad other than he left. And I understand why they may have changed that. There were some more adult themes, that would of made this movie a little bit more dark and less a cheeky teen rom-com. I, however missed that storyline, I found it one of my favorite parts of the book. I also felt like the character of Madison (played by Bella Thorne) had a larger role in the movie than she did in the book. I don't remember her being as much of a pivotal role and found that I didn't particularly like her character in either. 

All together, I really enjoyed myself while watching the movie. I highly recommend the book if you haven't read it and I thought the movie was a perfect example of a teenage romantic comedy with a little extra spice! As I've mentioned before, I really try to separate a movie from its book. I know I talked about the differences, but I didn't let those differences hinder my thoughts on the movie. If you don't separate them and sit there the whole time comparing the two, you won't enjoy the movie, and what do we watch movies and read books for besides to enjoy ourselves.



If you are curious as to what other books I’ve read, or want to read head on over to my Pinterest page where you can see all of those amazing books! You can also friend me on GoodReads for even more book goodness, and like the HEA…Book Blog Facebook page and follow HEA's Twitter page to keep up to date on book teasers and other blog awesomeness. You can also find me on Tumblr, where I post other blog related items. Check it out!!

Until next time...

Have an "unexpectedly phenomenal" day and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget