Friday, February 6, 2015

Series Review: More Series by Jay McLean

Book Review(s): More than This, More than Her, More than Him, & More than Forever
by Jay McLean


I wanted to share my thoughts with you all on my absolute FAVORITE books series, the More Series by Jay McLean. This series is a whirlwind of emotions ranging from all out sobbing to laughing so hard you think you're going to pee your pants. As I'll mention a lot through out this post, this series makes you feel. I've never felt more while reading a book than I have while reading More than Forever. I've never laughed as much while reading as I did when I read More than This ("There's nothing worse than coming in your pants while dry humping." - Jake Andrews). I've never been so angry with a book character as I was when I finished More than Her and I've never had one redeem themselves so quickly as when I started More than Him. Jay is a fantastic author that I will talk about incessantly not his blog because I love her so much. If I had to recommend one series to you all it would be this one. If I had to read one series for the rest of my life, it would be this one, HANDS DOWN! Without further ado, here is my review on the More Series by Jay McLean...

More than This is the first book in the series and it follows Jake Andrews and Mikayla Jones. This is one of the saddest books that I've ever read. And pretty much all of the sadness happens within the first quarter of the book. The tears were free flowing and I'm pretty sure at least fifty tissues were used. 

I had just randomly found this book on GoodReads (you know off to the side where they recommend books that are like the book you are currently viewing). I never expected this book to own me as much as it did. The words and the way they were expressed were just crazy beautiful and I fell in love with not only the writing, but the characters and their love story. 
SYNOPSIS:
When Mikayla imagined her prom night, she envisioned a fairy-tale evening full of romance. So when betrayal and tragedy come in quick succession, Mikayla is completely destroyed. Suddenly, everything she loved and everyone she relied on are tragically, irrevocably gone.
Jake, a handsome boy she just met, happens to witness her loss. With no one to turn to, Mikayla is forced to depend on this near stranger and his family, and he in turn is determined to take care of her. But Mikayla—thrust into adulthood with no one to guide her—is desperate to contain her grief and hide what she considers to be her weakness. Mikayla and Jake both want more, but despite their growing closeness and intense chemistry, she tries to keep her distance and protect her heart. As he does everything in his power to win her trust, Mikayla must choose between remaining alone and safe or letting love in.
It didn't hit me, just how much I loved this book until after I finished reading it. There are times when I'm reading a book and I just know that I like it  or don't like by the half way point , then there are times when I get lost in a story that I  don't even know where I am and I become the characters that I'm reading. I got lost in the words and the feels and everything in between and I had fell hard for Jake Andrews and Jay's writing and wanted more as soon as possible. Then I found out there was a book two. Let's just say I got super excited, but I was in a public place and had to keep my Fangirl-ing to a minimum. Needless to say, "I more than a lot loved" this book.

I downloaded, More than Her as soon as I got home and if I thought I loved Jake Andrews, then I guess my feelings for Logan Matthews were/are a word that hasn't even been thought of yet. More than Her follows Jake's best friend Logan and Amanda Marquez. I wasn't disappointed to not have a continuation of Jake and Mikayla's story because I felt like their story had been completed at the end of MTT. I was very intrigued by Logan and wanted to know more about him, though.

And let me tell you, Logan Fucking Matthews is probably one of my favorite male characters that I've ever read. (He's on the list with the likes of Drew Evans from Tangled by Emma Chase and Will Cooper from Slammed by Colleen Hoover.) He's hilarious, sweet, and kind. He's everything you want a guy to be and more. His story and the way Jay expressed it was amazing and she made me feel. That's the thing with Jay's books, they make you feel. They make you laugh, cry, sigh and repeat. 



"For every action there is an equal or opposite reaction."

For every choice you make there are rewards, 
or there are consequences.
It was my choice to walk away the first time.
And my choice to chase her the second.
But sometimes you don't get a choice, 
and all you get are the consequences.


"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, 
while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”

Unless that someone is Logan Matthews. 
Because loving him didn't give me 
the strength to walk away.
It didn't give me 
the courage to fight for him.
And when it was over, 
all it gave me was a broken heart.
I also really liked Amanda's character, I thought she was very well developed and likeable. That's another thing with these books, all the characters are people that you went to school with, they're people I could have been friends with in high school. I found that refreshing because a lot of times when you read these books they have characters that just seem too perfect. "Unrealistic" and "cookie cutter" are not words that I would use when describing a Jay McLean book. 

When I finished More than Her, I had to immediately start the third book because the cliffhanger at the end of that book is totally not cool. :) Luckily for me, I didn't have to wait because More than Him was already released. So, I downloaded that puppy and got lost in the More World once again. I don't want to talk too much about More than Him because it would spoil MTHer. All that needs to be said is that it's even better than the first two. It's PHENOMENAL and I've since re-read that book the most out of the four that are out. You get just as many feels and just as many laughs as you did in the first two. My favorite part is the journal entries we get from Logan, but if I told you too much about them than you'd be spoiled, so if you want to know than go read them, especially if you have Kindle Unlimited.  ;)











More than Forever is the fourth book in the series and it follows two more friends of Logan and Jake, Cameron Aladdin Gordon (I can't not use his middle name) and Lucy Preston. This is the book that made me completely fall in love, I was 100% devoted by the end of this book. There was no going back, there was no way I could love a series like the way  love this one. I didn't think it could get any better, but it did. This book was also phenomenal and amazing and fantastic and all of those other words that mean it was great. 
-LUCY-There is a love so fierce it cannot be measured.  A heart so strong it will never slow.  There is a promise so sure it can never lie. He promised me that love forever. Even when it wasn't enough.  
-CAMERON-Forever. Everlasting. Eternal. There is no measure of time.  No sounds of the ticking of a clock.  Just the rising and falling of the sun. And our own sense of forever.  
But our forever isn't always.

I can never decide which book I like the most because I honestly don't know. Some days it may be More than This, but other days it may More than Him. Although, there has always been something about MTF that has just resonated with me and made me all gooey inside. Cameron is one of those characters that you just can't get enough of. And Drunk Lucy is freaking amazing. I laughed more in this book than I did in any of the other ones. I think my favorite part about this book is that it starts out when Cam and Lucy are fifteen and the first half of the book is everything that happens before and during the beginning of More than This. I found it interesting to see what Logan and Jake were like before they found their forevers. The second half of More than Forever is when the tears really hit and if you don't have a box of tissues handy when reading it then I highly suggest going and getting some. If you've read the first book and thought Kayla's story was sad, (and it is, trust me) then you need to know that Cam and Lucy's story isn't just sad, it's heartbreaking. It's something that I DID NOT see coming and was completely blown to pieces when shit hit the fan. I've been so invested in these books and these characters from the beginning that I feel everything that they go through and when Lucy has to deal with losing her mom in the beginning I felt for her. I still have my mom, but I've lost loved ones, like many people, that I was close to and it's a very sad time when that happens. You never expect it and you never want to think about it, but for Lucy to have to go through that at fifteen and then go through what she went through during Part II of MTF. It broke my heart. I had to put the book down and take a breather. Of course, that only lasted for about thirty seconds because I needed to know what happened next, but you get my point. I was very sad when that book ended, I again was left wanting more. There is a fifth, and I think maybe final, book coming out, but that doesn't have a definite release date yet. It's called More than Enough and Jay hasn't said who it's about yet and it's literally killing me. She has mentioned that she doesn't want to release who it's about because she wants to write the story that wants and not have outside influences affecting her. I totally respect that and will just have to sit here and twiddle my thumbs until the official release.




Have no fear, there is something you can read while the time passes to read More than Enough. That is of course, Where the Road Takes Me. This is Jay's next release and it's coming in four days. That's right, FOUR DAYS! I've had the privilege to read an ARC of this book and can I just say, I think it's her best yet. It's not apart of the More Series and has a completely new set of characters and it's unlike the More Series in every way, except for one thing. The feels. It has soooo many feels. I will have an official review up on release day, so please come back on February 10th! In the meantime, if you go over to Jay's Author Page on Facebook she has been doing Flash Giveaways of copies of Where the Road Takes Me. Head on over for your chance to win!! If you go now, you could even win a copy from yours truly! :)


If you couldn't tell I love this series and it's my number one recommendation when someone asks me what book they should read. Here's the link to Jay's Amazon page, if you have Kindle Unlimited, then there really is no excuse not to read the series! If you don't then I suggest using your thirty day free trial to snatch these puppies up and devour every last one of Jay's powerful words.

"And I know that everything before must have been 
so goddamn wrong, because Jake Andrews knows. 
He knows how to do things so goddamn right."
-- Jay McLean, More than This --

If you are curious as to what other books I’ve read, or want to read head on over to my Pinterest page where you can see all of those amazing books! You can also friend me on GoodReads for even more book goodness, and like the HEA…Book Blog Facebook page to keep up to date on book teasers and other blog awesomeness. You can also find me on Tumblr, where I post other blog related items. Check it out!!

Until next time...

Happy Reading!














No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget