Friday, April 10, 2015

Book Review: The Queen of Bright & Shiny Things by Ann Aguirre

Title: The Queen of Bright & Shiny Things
Author: Ann Aguirre
Genre: YA Romance
First Book By This Author?: Y or N



Sage Czinski is trying really hard to be perfect. If she manages it, people won’t peer beyond the surface, or ask hard questions about her past. She’s learned to substitute causes for relationships, and it’s working just fine… until Shane Cavendish strolls into her math class. He’s a little antisocial, a lot beautiful, and everything she never knew she always wanted.


Shane Cavendish just wants to be left alone to play guitar and work on his music. He’s got heartbreak and loneliness in his rearview mirror, and this new school represents his last chance. He doesn’t expect to be happy; he only wants to graduate and move on. He never counted on a girl like Sage.

But love doesn’t mend all broken things, and sometimes life has to fall apart before it can be put back together again…

I really enjoyed this book, and not just because it was good. I liked this book because it was so refreshing. It was a dark book, but it was also light and fluffy at the same time. I found myself laughing and then want to cry soon after. Aguirre made me want to read this book so much because she left a little mystery and left you wanting more by the end the chapters. I thought Sage's character was very interesting and I thought that there was quite a bit of development. She had had a tough life before moving in with her aunt, but she didn't let that stop her. She tried to become a better person, because she didn't want her aunt to send her back. But, in all honesty, throughout the book I never got the feeling that her sunt would be that type of person. I always felt like she truly genuinely loved her. I liked Sage's eco-friendly attitude and found her quirky-ness added another layer to the story. This follwing line, made me crack up. It was probably the funniest thing I read in this book. 
Sage's character was also very sad. For example...
That line broke my heart. I fell completely in love with Aguirre's writing. I've yet to read her other books, and I've been contemplating and saying I was going to read her 2B Trilogy since they came out, but for some odd reason I never pick them up. I will definitely be finding the time in the near future because her writing is just so funny and quirky and touching. I think that was my favorite part of this book. I could read her words all day and never get tired of them. It's the same way I feel about Jay McLean's books. I just truly love the writing so much. I also really liked the romance between Shane and Sage. I thought it was cute and made me go "AWWWW!" quite a few times. Here's a few of my favorite lines...
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I would tell you more, but I don't want to spoil anything, so you'll just have to read it if you want to know what happens. You won't be disappointed, so go pick up your copy of The Queen of Bright & Shiny Things today!! If this quote doesn't make you want to read it, then I don't know what will!


"I'm the queen of bright and shiny things, eternally looking for the positive and seeking a silver lining in the dark. He's dating a girl I invented three years ago because the real me is horrible, and I wanted to leave her behind, along with the group home and the court-mandated therapy sessions. I want so bad to be normal, but I never can be

I can't. Not after what I've done."

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget