Monday, May 4, 2015

Book Reviews: Broken Juliet (Star-crossed #2) by Leisa Rayven & Landline by Rainbow Rowell!

I have two new reviews for you guys today! I hope you enjoy!! :) :) 


When I bought Bad Romeo by Leisa Rayven, I had no idea what I was in for. I bought it on a complete whim because I really liked the cover and the synopsis sounded interesting. But THAT BOOK was such a surprise to me. I loved it so much and then I finished it and was completely dumfounded because there was a HUGE  cliffy and I started feeling my inner two year old coming out and screaming "I want it now!!" So, I had to push her down as fast as I could and then take a deep breath and tell myself all good comes to those who wait, yada yada yada.

Then April 28th came and the beauty that is Broken Juliet popped up on my Kindle. I was so excited! I started it immediately and found myself quickly enveloped by Leisa's characters and her way with words. She is a phenomenal writer you guys. Like one of the best I've ever read. She made Present Day Ethan so funny and then Past Ethan was broody and depressing. Phenomenal. Just phenomenal. 




How do you fix a love that’s been broken beyond repair?

For years, Cassie Taylor tried to forget about Ethan Holt. He was the one great love of her life, and when he failed to return her love, a part of her died forever. Or so she thought. Now she and Ethan are sharing a Broadway stage, and he’s determined to win her back. Claiming to be a changed man, he’s finally able to say all the things she needed to hear years ago, but can she believe him? What makes this time different from all his other broken promises?

Ethan knows he can’t change their tumultuous past, but if he’s going to have any chance of being with the woman he loves, he’ll need to convince Cassie that her future belongs with him. 

Don’t miss this stunning conclusion to the unforgettable love story that captivated over two million fans online.

Rayven's characters are superbly developed and their emotions are something that you can feel radiating off the pages. I was constantly finding myself getting lost within the words I was reading to only find myself getting sucked in the characters lives. The way Leisa was able to transform her characters between each time period was unbelievably done. If you're wondering what Cassie & Ethan's relationship would sound like, then you NEED to listen to "I Know You" by Skylar Grey. It's from the Fifty Shades soundtrack and in my opinion it completely epitomizes Ethan & Cassie to a "T".

If you haven't had the chance to read Bad Romeo, then stop what you're doing right now, so you can finish it and immediately start Broken Juliet. This series is not only heart-wrenchingly amazing, but it's also gut-bustingly (is that a word?) funny. You won't be disappointed. 

PS - There's a third book coming and it's following Ethan's sister Elissa. I'm trying to contain my inner two year old but she's gaining strength by the day. Wish me luck. 



After finishing Broken Juliet, I decided to head over to Books-A-Million and as soon as I walked into the store I look into the corner and I see this book. It's only $6.97 (originally $24.99), so I'm like "This is a no-brainer" and I pick it up. How could I not? 

I've read two other books by Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor & Park and Fangirl. I loved E&P so much! It's in my top five favorite books ever. I thought the story itself and the writing was so well done and just couldn't put it down after I picked it up. When I read Fangirl, I wasn't as impressed. I still really liked it, but I found myself comparing it to E&P. I thought it was just as well written, but I didn't like the characters as much. I have been wanting to read Rainbow's adult novels Landline and her novel Attachments for awhile, but just haven't picked them up yet. I will definitely be picking up Attachments, but not until I finish some of the books that are on my shelf. My TBR pile has gotten a little ridiculous lately and I need to rectify that situation ASAP! :) 

Anywho! So, I picked Landline and a few other beauts while I was there and decided to start it the next day. I couldn't put it down. It was so good, you guys. So well written and just plain unique. I loved Georgie & Neal and Alice & Noomi. The plot line of this book was so inventive and unique. I haven't read anything quite this different. The synopsis explains it all. 




Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it's been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply--but that almost seems beside the point now.

Maybe that was always beside the point.

Two days before they're supposed to visit Neal's family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can't go. She's a TV writer, and something's come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her--Neal is always a little upset with Georgie--but she doesn't expect to him to pack up the kids and go without her.

When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she's finally done it. If she's ruined everything.

That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It's not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she's been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts. . . .

Is that what she's supposed to do?

Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?


My favorite thing about Rainbow Rowell's books are her writing. Her words flow so eloquently and everything she writes has a purpose to the story. I feel like some books have useless information throughout the book, but Landline's words and sentences all meant something. Georgie McCool was a great character to read about. Her job was so cool and interesting, but her family was even better. Her mom, stepdad, and sister made this book. Oh and the pugs, I can't forget the pugs. Her family was so weird and funky, so endearingly hilarious. I loved them. Don't even get me started on how adorable her children (Alice & Noomi) were. I would constantly crack up every time she talked to them on the phone. I also found myself sighing and going "AWWW" whenever she'd talk to Neal, or have a flashback to before they were married. They were so cute and ahh, I can't. This line just proves how sweet Neal was...
I mean come on! That is just too freaking much. Georgie and Neal's relationship definitely had their ups and their downs, but they both truly loved each other. We don't really get to see inside Neal's head until the end of the book, but I won't talk too much about that because it would majorly spoil the book. However, the way that Georgie talks about her love towards Neal is palpable. It's so alive and immense. They've had their troubles, but she's never questioned it. She's always known since the moment she knew who Neal was, that he was it for her. This quote is the perfect representation for Neal and Georgie's love...
Georgie and Neal are so different, but that doesn't mean that their love isn't going to last. It doesn't mean that they don't work. Sometimes the things that don't make much sense, are the things that are the most beautiful. Georgie and Neal's love is just that beautiful. 
I could go on and on about how great both Landline and Broken Juliet are, but I just couldn't do them justice that they deserve. They're both phenomenally written works of art that deserve all the praise and grace that they've been given. Go. Read. Them. Now! :) :) 


Leisa Rayven's Novels
Bad Romeo (Starcrossed #1) --> http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Romeo
Broken Juliet (Star-crossed #2) --> http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Juliet
Wicked Heart (Star-crossed #3) --> https://www.goodreads.com/Wicked-Heart

Rainbow Rowell's Novels

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget