Sunday, May 31, 2015

May 2015 Wrap-Up (feat. Colleen Hoover, Rainbow Rowell, Jenny Han & MORE!!)

It's that time again! Another month has passed, so that means it's time to share with you my thoughts on the books I've read this month! Let's hop right in!


Broken Juliet (Star-crossed #2) by Leisa RayvenThis was a highly anticipated read for me in February and let me tell you it didn't disappoint. I have a full review for this book and the first book in the series, Bad Romeo, which can be found here. I thought this book was good, if not better, than the first and would highly recommend this series. There's a third book that is scheduled to be released later this year. It will feature the male protagonists sister, Elissa and I'm super excited for it! Leisa Rayven just has a way with words and I has easily became my newest auto-buy author!! 


Landline by Rainbow Rowell. I had been contemplating this book for awhile. I had loved Eleanor & Park and definitely wanted to read more Rainbow Rowell, but I wasn't so keen on spending $24.99 on a book, so when I saw this book in the bargain section, I snatched it up right away and fell in love with the characters! It's an amazing read and if you want to know more of thoughts you can read my review here




Overruled (Legal Briefs #1) by Emma Chase. I LOVE Emma's Tangled Series. Drew Evans is probably in my top five book boyfriends. I had loved reading about Drew and Kate and Matthew and Delores. Then I found out about this series and I was instantly excited again. This book is kind of similar to Tangled, but it's also different. Does that make sense? :) It had some of the same elements that Tangled had, you know, player boy meets girl and they form a relationship and then boy screws it all up, sound familiar? However, it never felt like I was reading the same story. Stanton Shaw was a true southern charmer and he cracked me up. We even get to see the infamous Drew Evans when he was in college, as Stanton and Drew were in the same fraternity. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and flew through it, and I will definitely be picking the next book, Sustained, up when it's released in August!



To All the Boys I've Loved Before (#1) by Jenny Han. After reading a steamy adult novel, I decided to read something a bit tamer and picked up a book that has been on my TBR for far to long! I loved Jenny Han's Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy and read all three book within a two day period. I know I'm crazy. I had been wanting to read TATBILB, for awhile and I picked it up from BAM! one day when I saw it in the bargain section, but then it just sat on my shelf for way too many months. I finally started to read it and then I couldn't put it down. It was such a great YA book, that had a little spunk to it. I thought Lara Jean was a strong female character and her love interest was an unexpected twist. I thought the book was going to go one way, and then it when the opposite! I have a full review here and I will picking the second book, P.S. I Still Love You, next month!



Under the Influence by L.B. Simmons. I also have a full review for this book that can be found here. Overall, this book was phenomenal and I really loved the way the story played out. I have read one other book by this author and it was The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller. That book is so good and I think I may have liked it better than Under the Influence, but they are two completely different stories, so comparing the two is impossible. I will definitely be checking out L.B.'s other series because I just need more of her witty and unique writing in my life. :) 

Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally. This is an ARC that I received through NetGalley I will be posting a review for this book closer to the release date. It's the sixth book in the Hundred Oaks Series and can be read as a standalone. The release date is July 7th, 2015!!

Synopsis
Everyone at Hundred Oaks High knows that career mentoring day is a joke. So when Maya Henry said she wanted to be a rock star, she never imagined she’d get to shadow *the* Jesse Scott, Nashville’s teen idol.

But spending the day with Jesse is far from a dream come true. He’s as gorgeous as his music, but seeing all that he’s accomplished is just a reminder of everything Maya’s lost: her trust, her boyfriend, their band, and any chance to play the music she craves. Not to mention that Jesse’s pushy and opinionated. He made it on his own, and he thinks Maya’s playing back up to other people’s dreams. Does she have what it takes to follow her heart—and go solo?



Love Surfaced by Michelle Lynn. I started this book back in February after I saw Aestas Book Blog mention it on her Facebook page. It sounded really good and it was good. When I reached the 70% mark on my Kindle app I hit a rut and started reading other things and soon forgot about this book. I was organizing all the books on my Kindle that I need to read into a collection when I saw this and immediately wanted to read it. I finished it the next day and really enjoyed. I'm hoping there will be a second book about the female protagonist, Piper's, brother Brad. His story seems interesting and I want to know how to will end!!



Last To Know (Willow Creek #1) by Micalea Smeltzer. This is a book I got awhile go because it was either free or 99¢ (not quite sure). It's been sitting on my Kindle app only 30% of the way read for a few months now. I saw it one day when I was scrolling looking for something new to read. I decided to give it a try and really liked it. It's considered a YA read, but I think it's a harder YA, if you know what I mean. The language in the book is a bit older, but the overall book doesn't have graphic material. It read to me like a new adult book, which makes sense because the rest of the books in the series are new adult. I've only read one other Micalea Smeltzer book and that was Rae of Sunshine. I LOVED that book. I thought it was phenomenal and kind of reminded me of Resurrection of Aubrey Miller. The themes were different, but I got the same vibe between the two. So, as much as I really liked that book, I also really enjoyed reading this one. It was funny and cute. I mean Maddox (main male) had a freaking pet hedgehog named Sonic. How freaking cute is that!!?? I will be continuing the series, but I have a few other books to read first!




Never Never Part Two by Tarryn Fisher & Colleen Hoover. OH. EM. GEE. This book was so good!!!!! I think I'm correct when I say we've all been waiting to know what happened to Charlie! And we finally found out! I couldn't have been more happy with this book. I thought it was so good and just like the first one it left me wanting more!! I can't wait for the third, and I think final, installment to come out. Not sure when that is, but it's probably too far away! :) I am planning to post a full series review once the third book is published! Just know that it's an amazing series and you need to read it now!!! put it this way, I had been reading it for an hour and half and was already 50% of the way through it. Then I proceeded to finish it that night. 

GO! READ! IT! NOW!!



Combative by Jay McLean. This was a surprise release that we had originally been told wasn't going to be published. I have a review up for this amazing book, that can be found here. I need book two ASAP because the ending of Combative left me hanger with all these unanswered questions that I need the answers to!!! And that cover, too! HOLY MOLY!! AMAZING!
Getting Played by Mia Storm. This is an ARC that I received via Inkslinger. I will have a review up for it on June 2nd, so please come back to find out my thoughts and feels towards this student-teacher romance! If you haven't read book one (Getting Dirty), you can find my review for it here.


Synopsis
Rules of the game:
1) Never underestimate your opponent
2) Avoid personal fouls
3) Score early and often
 4) Play or get played


Coach Marcus Leon has always played by the rules…until he meets Addaline Grace, the seventeen-year-old senior transfer on his Oak Crest High water polo team. Addie changes all the rules, mostly because she doesn’t play any games. But as off limits as she is, the more Marcus discovers about Addie, the more he finds himself…and the more he questions whether Addie Grace might just be worth risking everything for.

For Addie, water polo is anger management. She’s driven and focused because it keeps her mind off other things…like the fact she destroyed her family. Her game plan is to keep her head down and graduate so she can leave her father and the crappy town he dragged her to in her wake. But when what starts as friendly completion with Marcus turns into more than a game, Addie has to decided if she’s willing to face down her demons…and possibly ruin the man she may or may not be falling in love with in the process.

What happens when the only thing you need is the one thing you can’t have?

Fisher's Light by Tara Sivec. I've seen this book all over and have wanted to try it out, but just never did. Of course, being an avid reader like I am, sometimes I get in lulls and don't know what to read. During these times I just starting sifting through my TBR list on Goodreads, I browse book blogs and visit Amazon and see what they recommend. I found this book on all three of those places. And I knew. I just knew that I was finally meant to read this book. I got it. I devoured it and fell completely in love with Fisher and Lucy's life together. I thought the characters were very well written and so thought out. I especially liked the alternate time periods. It was interesting to be able to see into Fisher's head when he came back from war. It made you truly understand what he and so many other soldiers in real life go through after they come home. I've read only one other Sivec book and that was Watch Over Me. I don't know why I waited so long to read more of Tara's writing, but I'm definitely going to be picking more up in the very near future. 




P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han. I finished the first book, To All the Boys I've Loved Before and absolutely loved it, as you read above! I had high hopes for this one and it didn't disappoint. I'll have a full review up for this amazing read in the next week. In the meantime, you can find my review for book one here!
That's all for this month! I hope you all had a great Mother's Day and Memorial Day! Summer's finally here and I'm so excited!!
Are you?? If you have any recommendations for me, please feel free to leave a comment below! And don't forget to follow me on social media (all links can be found in the top right corner of this page!)! Thanks for stopping by!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget