Friday, June 26, 2015

Book Review: All Broke Down (Rusk University #2) by Cora Carmack


In this second book in New York Times and USA Todaybestselling author Cora Carmack s New Adult, Texas-set Rusk University series, which began with All Lined Up, a young woman discovers that you can't only fight for what you believe in... sometimes you have to fight for what you love.

Dylan fights for lost causes. Probably because she used to be one.

Environmental issues, civil rights, corrupt corporations, and politicians you name it, she's probably been involved in a protest. When her latest cause lands her in jail overnight, she meets Silas Moore. He's in for a different kind of fighting. And though he's arrogant and infuriating, she can't help being fascinated with him. Yet another lost cause.

Football and trouble are the only things that have ever come naturally to Silas. And it's trouble that lands him in a cell next to do-gooder Dylan. He's met girls like her before fixers, he calls them, desperate to heal the damage and make him into their ideal boyfriend. But he doesn't think he's broken, and he definitely doesn't need a girlfriend trying to change him. Until, that is, his anger issues and rash decisions threaten the only thing he really cares about: his spot on the Rusk University football team. Dylan might just be the perfect girl to help.

Because Silas Moore needs some fixing after all.




I started this book awhile ago, and then put it down when another book was released that I had been anticipating. I kind of forgot about it then and then while reading Amber to Ashes by Gail McHugh, I found myself slipping into a reading slump. So, I decided to go through my Kindle & iBooks and find a book to get me going again. I tried a few different ones and even reread most of Tied by Emma Chase and Last Call by Alice Clayton. Then I came across, All Broke Down, and I decided to just pick it back up. I didn't hate this book by any means, but it wasn't my favorite Cora Carmack book. That will always be Losing It, I just loved that book it was so cute and refreshing. I had read All Lined Up awhile back and also enjoyed the book, but didn't love it. I think the characters in All Broke Down were kind of cookie-cutter. I feel like I had read about characters like them many times before. I think what really brought this book to its full potential was the writing. 
I really liked when Cora would right these really intense inner monologues. Silas and Dylan would both just go inside their hides and analyze themselves and you'd really get to know them more. It was also really funny, for example the quote above. There were quite a few times when I was laughing out loud.  Some of my major issues were, that I felt like there were quite a few loose ends that weren't tied up. I really would have liked to see some sort of resolution between Silas and his family. I also wanted to know more about his and Dylan's pasts. I felt like there was was a lot of untouched material. Another example is we don't really get to see any definitive resolution between Dylan and her parents. I would have liked to see more of their disapproval and just overall involvement in the story.  This being said, I'll definitely be continuing on with the series and I'm very interested to read about the new set of characters in All Played Out. If you enjoy quick new adult romances than this is the perfect book for you!!

“I lace my fingers with his because it seems like the right thing to do in my head, and he holds our entwined hands up in the air for a few long seconds, like he’s never held someone’s hand before. When I lay my head back down against his chest, he lets our hands drop into his lap and stay there.
I feel something warm and soft graze my forehead, and electricity skips up my spine. With his arm around my shoulders, my head on his chest, and my hand in his it feels like all roads lead to Silas. And all the restless energy floating through me keeps connecting to him and coming back twice as strong, like we’re this closed circuit, and the longer we stay linked, the more powerful the pull between us becomes.”









Cora Carmack is a twenty-something writer who likes to write about twenty-something characters. She's done a multitude of things in her life-- boring jobs (like working retail), Fun jobs (like working in a theatre), stressful jobs (like teaching), and dream jobs (like writing). She enjoys placing her characters in the most awkward situations possible, and then trying to help them get a boyfriend out of it. Awkward people need love, too. She is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Losing It series. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget