Wednesday, June 3, 2015

(Quick) Book Review: Sweet Thing by Renée Carlino!

I read this books last year and still haven't been able to get them out of my head. Sweet Thing and Sweet Little Thing (the novella sequel) are two of my favorite books of all time. Renée Carlino is also one of my favorite authors. I would classify her books as more adult than new adult, and they are so powerful and filled with emotion. I feel like she can take a classic boy meets girl storyline and add so much passion and uniqueness to it that you would never know it's just a simple outline. 


A USA TODAY bestselling contemporary romance about the complexities of love and self-discovery in the early post-college years.

Mia Kelly thinks she has it all figured out. She’s an Ivy League graduate, a classically trained pianist, and the beloved daughter of a sensible mother and offbeat father. Yet Mia has been stalling since graduation, torn between putting her business degree to use and exploring music, her true love. 

When her father unexpectedly dies, she decides to pick up the threads of his life while she figures out her own. Uprooting herself from Ann Arbor to New York City, Mia takes over her father’s café, a treasured neighbor­hood institution that plays host to undiscovered musicians and artists. She’s denied herself the thrilling and unpredictable life of a musician, but a chance encounter with Will, a sweet, gorgeous, and charming guitar­ist, offers her a glimpse of what could be. When Will becomes her friend and then her roommate, she does everything in her power to suppress her passions—for him, for music—but her father’s legacy slowly opens her heart to the possibility of something more.



Sweet Thing was the first book of Renée's that I read and I heard about it from a "Booktuber" named Hannah, or "Bookwormstalk with HANNAH" on Youtube. She raved about this book and I was so intrigued that I had to buy it! I was highly highly impressed with not only Carlino's writing, but the way she can make you feel while reading her book. She had me laughing and smiling one minute and then I 'd be crying the next. Her characters were so well developed and relatable. I felt like I could have known them. They could have been my neighbors down the street. 

I love when this happens while reading. It makes the book so much more fun and entertaining. 

The story starts off with our female protagonist, Mia Kelly, moving to New York to take over her, recently deceased, father's cafe. She meets Will Ryan on the plane and the strike up a conversation. Little does she know, she'll be seeing Will again real soon. Love, shenanigans, and so much more ensues and we are left with a charming and witty and amazing story that'll make you want to flip back to the beginning as soon as you've reached the end. 




I’m the author of Sweet Thing, Sweet Little Thing, Nowhere But Here, After the Rain and upcoming BEFORE WE WERE STRANGERS. I’m a California native currently residing in a beach town in Southern California where I live with my husband, our two boys, and our sweet dog June.


No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget