Friday, July 17, 2015

Book Review: Hopeless/Losing Hope by Colleen Hoover

**I've decided to combine my reviews for Hopeless and Losing Hope because they're pretty much the same book just different POVs and it would have been redundant to review them separately. :) ;)**

         
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.


In the follow-up to Colleen Hoover’s #1 New York Times bestseller Hopeless, the charming and irresistible Dean Holder tells the passionate story that has melted thousands of hearts.

In Hopeless, Sky left no secret unearthed, no feeling unshared, and no memory forgotten, but Holder’s past remained a mystery.

Still haunted by the little girl he let walk away, Holder has spent his entire life searching for her in an attempt to finally rid himself of the crushing guilt he has felt for years. But he could not have anticipated that the moment they reconnect, even greater remorse would overwhelm him…

Sometimes in life, if we wish to move forward, we must first dig deep into our past and make amends. In Losing Hope, bestselling author Colleen Hoover reveals what was going on inside Holder’s head during all those hopeless moments—and whether he can gain the peace he desperately needs.


It's time for the next installment of CoHo Friday's. This week we are talking about Hopeless. This is the first Colleen Hoover book that I read. It was also the book that started the obsession. The book that made me realize that I not only wanted to read more new adult books, but I NEEDED to read more new adult. I was nineteen and thought I still liked young adult books, and that I was supposed to be reading dystopian and fantasy and paranormal books. Well, I actually really don't like dystopian, fantasy or paranormal books. I've a read a select few that I thought were good, but in all honesty if I had to pick between reading only romance or only reading other genres. I would hands down pick romance, and it's because of this book! Dean Holder was my first. He was the first real book boyfriend that I'd ever had. Now, I've got about fifty, but I'm not really a one fictional-man kind of girl. Of course, are any of us?? *eyebrow arch* 
That quote is one of my absolute favorites! It's something so powerful and deep and thought provoking. I felt that a lot throughout this book. I never felt like these kids were kids. Hopeless read like a new adult novel, but it had found adult aged characters. I think that this book is a great example of a book for many ages. I feel like it could even be classified as a mature young adult. I let an older lady (late sixties) that I work with read it and she absolutely loved it. I know for a fact that younger people have read this book and fell just as hard for the characters. 

Speaking of falling hard. Let's talk about Holder, Dean Holder. He's soooo dreamyyyy. Gosh, he makes me blush just thinking about him. EEP! It's kind of impossible to not fall for him, he's so smooth and amazing. He does have a little bit of a "temper", but he's had a rough life. He lost his best friend when he was younger, he recently lost his twin sister, Les from suicide. He doesn't know how to express his feelings. He feels as if he doesn't have anyone to talk to. He's sad, plain and simple. Then he meets Linden Sky Davis, or just Sky. He believes that he's seen or known her before. She reminds him of someone from his past, but that just can't be. There's no way. Or is there?

Sky Davis, is an eighteen-year-old former homeschooled girl. She was adopted by her mom, Karen and has never been to public school before. That is until now, she was supposed to be starting her senior year with her best friend Six. Yes, her name is Six, like the number.  That is until Six gets the opportunity to go to Italy for the school year as a foreign exchange student. So, this leaves Sky to fend for herself. She's already gotten herself a reputation. Even if it is undeserved, it's simply because she's friends with Six and maybe because people think she's slept with a lot of people. Sky decides to just keep her head down and keep to herself. Then she meets...Breckin. Who is by far the best gay Mormon I've ever read about! He was one of the many comic reliefs throughout Hopeless and I really enjoyed his involvement in Losing Hope. The relationship that him and Holder formed was pretty funny and heartwarming. 

After a rough start, holder and Sky finally get together and let's just say it was quite beautiful and perfect, I'd say "the best first kiss in the history of first kisses." ;) Holder was just so dreamy and sweet and charming. With this next quote, how could you not fall absolutely in love with him!?

OH OH, and this one too...

This one as well, it's like the cutest thing ever...


I mentioned Breckin and Sky's friendship, but let's not forget the enigma that is Daniel. He's Holder's BFF!! He's another form of comic relief that this book had and I cannot wait to share my thoughts and feels on Finding Cinderella, next. It's also like nothing I've ever read because Daniel is like no other character in any other book. He's one of a kind and he's just perfect! Here's a little taste of Daniel...
 and...


So, there you have it. That's really all I can talk about without giving away the MAJOR twist in the middle. It's a doozy and you need to read it if you haven't already. Colleen Hoover is a phenomenal author and I can't say enough good things about her books!





No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget