Thursday, July 23, 2015

(Quick) Book Review: Between Us & The Moon by Rebecca Maizel




A luminous young adult novel that evokes Judy Blume’s Forever for a new generation.

Ever since Sarah was born, she’s lived in the shadow of her beautiful older sister, Scarlett. But this summer on Cape Cod, she’s determined to finally grow up. Then she meets gorgeous college boy Andrew. He sees her as the girl she wants to be. A girl who’s older than she is. A girl like Scarlett.

Before she knows what’s happened, one little lie has transformed into something real. And by the end of August, she might have to choose between falling in love, and finding herself.

Fans of Jenny Han and Stephanie Perkins are destined to fall for this story about how life and love are impossible to predict.


I found this book to be highly entertaining from the very beginning. I never really felt like I was reading a YA book until the end. That would be because the end was kind of abrupt and left me hanging. Which, is how I feel like most YA books leave you. I will say it did have a sort of unexpected ending, that you could kind of decide what it meant. I do like those, but I also kind of hate them. I'm very indecisive, I know. :) I thought the main character, Sarah, or "Bean", as her family and friends call her, was a great protagonist. I never found her annoying, or childish. She had justifiable concerns with herself and really made an effort to make a change. Did she necessarily go about it the right way, no probably not. However, the way the story plays out made for a great read that I would definitely recommend for mature YA readers. There are a few more mature scenes throughout the book, that may not be suitable for younger YA readers, but it's nothing a New Adult lover couldn't handle.

The one thing I think a lot of people, including myself, could pick up from this book is the time old mantra that "You're perfect just the way you are." You don't have to act like somebody else to get someone to like you. As long as you're you, then the people who truly matter and care about you will stick around. 




Rebecca Maizel hails from Rhode Island, where she teaches high school literature at her alma mater the Wheeler School. She tries not to force her students to read her books, though. Rebecca is the author of several published novels for young adults, and recently achieved an MFA in Writing for Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. She also enjoys Indian food, her dog Georgie, and running moderately long distances. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget