Friday, July 24, 2015

(Quick) Book Review: The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne

Fans of Sarah Dessen and Huntley Fitzpatrick will enjoy this smart debut young adult novel, equal parts My Life Next Door and The Princess Diaries—plus a dash of Aaron Sorkin.


Kate Quinn’s mom died last year, leaving Kate parentless and reeling. So when the unexpected shows up in her living room, Kate must confront another reality she never thought possible—or thought of at all. Kate does have a father. He’s a powerful politician. And he’s running for U.S. President. Suddenly, Kate’s moving in with a family she never knew she had, joining a campaign in support of a man she hardly knows, and falling for a rebellious boy who may not have the purest motives. This is Kate’s new life. But who is Kate? When what she truly believes flies in the face of the campaign’s talking points, she must decide. Does she turn to the family she barely knows, the boy she knows but doesn’t necessarily trust, or face a third, even scarier option?



Set against a backdrop of politics, family, and first love, this is a story of personal responsibility, complicated romance, and trying to discover who you are even as everyone tells you who you should be.


I randomly found this book on one of my late night Goodreads crawl. It was a recommendation if I liked some other random book that I can't quite recall. I read the synopsis and decided to click that little green button and added it to be to-read shelf. It wasn't going to be published for a few months, so I had to wait. Which I hate, but tolerate because I can't control time, so... I then proceeded to forget about it. Like I'm sure most of us do when we add too many books to our to- read shelves.  They get lost in the shuffle, other books begin to take precedence and then you miss the release completely until four months later you decide to clean out said to-read shelf because it has way too many books that you couldn't possibly read and you find it again. That's what happened to me anyway, so I re-read the synopsis and then looked to see if it'd been published because I remembered that I really wanted to read this book. It'd been published, so then I one-clicked it on Amazon and begin devouring it. I read it within like two days and really enjoyed it. I liked the political aspect of it. I've always had a thing for history and learning about government and stuff. I also enjoyed it because it was like the younger version of Off the Record, by KA Linde. It wasn't exactly like it at all, but it still had that vibe. Hiding stuff because it could jeopardize the campaign. If you like new adult/adult political reads than I would highly recommend that series. It's amazing. Back to The Wrong Side of Right, I thought the main character Kate, was really interesting and I never found her to be too young sounding. The only problem I had with this book was that it was kind of unbelievable. I don't see something like this actually happening. Not saying a politician couldn't have a love-child discovered. BECAUSE we all know that's highly possible. Besides the point, but still highly possible. I would think that if this would happen, then Kate's legally guardians, her aunt and uncle would have been a little bit more possessive of her. I wouldn't think anyone would let a sixteen year old decide that she was going to subject herself to something like the onslaught of cameras and paparazzi and ridicule from others. But, I could be wrong. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I wished the love story would have been a little bit more prominent, but I still enjoyed the father/daughter/stepmother/half-siblings storyline that we got. I really enjoyed Kate's little brother and sister, Gabe and Gracie. Her stepmom, Meg was also really enjoyable. I thought that the way Jenn wrote Meg's character was unique and interesting. I would highly recommend this novel if you love contemporary YA novels with heartache and a great family aspect. I will most definitely be checking more of Jenn Marie Thorne out soon!!





Jenn Marie Thorne writes YA fiction from her home in beautiful Gulfport, Florida, alongside her dashing husband, her two daring toddlers, and her trusty hound Molly. An NYU-Tisch grad with a BFA in Drama, Jenn still enjoys making a fool of herself on at least a weekly basis. Other hobbies include writing about herself in the third-person, studying classical voice, learning languages, and traveling the world with her family.


No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget