Monday, July 27, 2015

Series Review: Mara Dyer Trilogy by Michelle Hodkins (FINALLY!!!!!)



Mara cannot remember anything about the night her friends did. All she knows is what she’s been told: they went to an abandoned asylum, the building collapsed, and only Mara survived.

Two months later, Mara is eager to move forward with her life in a new town, but that’s easier said than done. A boy at school named Noah Shaw seems to know more about Mara’s tragic past than she does. And to make matters worse, Mara is beginning to see people and things that can’t possibly be there. Or can they?

When Mara goes searching for answers, she discovers a secret about herself that is most unbecoming. A secret that promises a future full of destruction, pain, love, evolution, and ultimately, retribution.



The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer has been sitting on my bookshelf FOR. EVER. It's sequel, The Evolution of Mara Dyer, has also been sitting on my bookshelf for a long time. I wish I had a legit reason besides I was just too lazy to pick them up, but I don't. I was just never in the mood, until one night after I finished Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, where I really wanted to read something new, but also something different. I looked over at my bookshelves and my eyes immediately gravitated towards The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I thought what the hell and picked it up. I was already about a hundred pages into it and luckily I had remembered most of what I had read months prior. Can I just say, I'm so glad I was in the mood for something different because I LOVED THIS SERIES! It was absolutely phenomenal. I can't believe I hadn't realized it sooner. I loved the characters. I loved the inner-monologues, I loved the humor, the writing. It was all amazing and I couldn't put them down. I marathon-ed the whole series within about five days. I never grew tired of any of the books. I was constantly wondering what was going to happen next. I needed to know what was going to happen next. I think what I loved most about this book was that it had a prominent romance in it. It wasn't just a book about a girl who's freaky or whatever. For someone who exclusively reads romance novels, I'm always intimidated by other genres and tend to just stick with what I love. I liked that this series was out of comfort zone, but also never made me feel like it was. I'm definitely going to be checking more from this genre out. If you guys have any recommendations please comment below. If you're like me and tend to stick with the romance genre, then I would highly recommend checking out Michelle Hodkin. She's a fabulous writer and even better storyteller. 

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Evolution of Mara Dyer

The Retribution of Mara Dyer

At the age of sixteen, I lost the rights to my soul in a poker game with pirates just south of Natchez. Shortly thereafter, I joined an acting troupe and traveled the world performing feats of wonder and mischief before writing my first novel, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, and its sequel, The Evolution of Mara Dyer. I'm currently working on the third book in the trilogy, The Retribution of Mara Dyer. PS: I may or may not be a reliable narrator of my own life. 
Not buying the pirate story? How about this I grew up in South Florida, went to college in New York, and attended law school in Michigan. When I'm not writing, I can usually be found prying strange objects from the jaws of one of my three pets.


No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget