Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Book Review: Kick Push by Jay McLean


There’s a single defining moment within every skater.
It lasts only a second. Two if you're good.
Three if you’re really good.
It’s the moment you’re in the air, your board somewhere beneath you, and nothing but wind surrounds you.
It’s the feeling of being airborne.

The sixteen-year-old version of me would’ve said it was the greatest feeling in the world.
Then at seventeen, I had my son.
And every single second became a defining moment. Even the ones that consisted of heartbreak when his mother left us.

Seventeen. Single. Dad.
That’s what my life became.
Yet, every day, I managed to find that feeling of being airborne.
Or at least I convinced myself I did.
But I lied—to myself and to everyone around me.
Until she showed up; Tanned skin, raven dark hair, and eyes the color of emeralds.

You know what sucks about being in the air?
Coming down from the high.
Sometimes you land on the board and nail the trick.
Then kick, push, and coast away.
Other times you fall.
You fall hard.
And those are the times when it’s not as easy to get back up, dust off your pads and try again.
Especially when the girl with the emerald eyes becomes your drug...
And you become her poison.
I thought that I had read my favorite book of the year already. There was no way, that anything could beat Where the Road Takes Me, also by the lovely Jay McLean. I was proven wrong. SO WRONG! Kick Push is without a doubt my new favorite book of 2015. I really don't think anything can top it. It has all my favorite things. I bruiting, funny, amazing male protagonist, aka Joshua Warden. I cute little sidekick, Josh's son Tommy. And a relatable, yet mysterious female protagonist. I'm not going to name her, because I'm pretty sure Jay's kept it on the down low of who she is. Just know that she's edgy, and mysterious, and kind of awkward. You're going to love her, you're going to hate her, and then you'll want to yell at her, a lot. In the end, I really enjoyed her character and I can't wait to find out more about her. Kick Push is funny. It's heartwarming. It's heartbreaking. It's earth shattering, groundbreaking, and has all the feels wrapped up in sweet story about a teenage single father just trying to do good by his little boy. 

     
Joshua is absolutely my favorite male character that Jay's ever written. I can't even when it comes to how sweet and shockingly adorable he is. And don't even get me started on Tommy. He's so freaking cute, and I loved his character so much. I love that Josh calls the female lead "Emerald Eyes". 
It's again so adorable. He has this dorky swagger about him. He's kind of inexperienced when it comes to the ladies because his love life has been put on hold after Tommy's mom, Natalie, left. Joshua had to step up and be not only be one parent, but two. This all happened to him when he was seventeen too. SEVENTEEN. Can you imagine going through something like that at seventeen. But, to come out on the other side with an amazing kid and good job that's providing for you and your son. I just can't imagine going through that at such a young age. I'm sure some of you may have and I think that that is absolutely incredible. 
Assuming with the way the book ended, there will be another book about Joshua Warden. Which I'm so totally okay with because   just like in Jay's more series. I fell even harder for Logan in book two. I can't wait for more from Jay and hope we get more soon!!!

My favorite thing about Jay McLean's books is the words she writes. She has such an amazing way with words that can be compared to the likes of Colleen Hoover. I really love Colleen's books, but I think I love Jay's more. She can write these deep, emotional tear-worthy of inner monologues. Then she can turn around by the next page and have you laughing out loud. Here's a few of my favorite quotes from Kick Push!









Jay McLean is the author of the More Than Series, including More Than This, More Than Her, More Than Him and More Than Forever. She also has a standalone titled Where the Road Takes Me, and a serial series titles Boy Toy Chronicles.

Jay is an avid reader, writer, and most of all, procrastinator. When she's not doing any of those things, she can be found running after her two little boys, or devouring some tacky reality TV show.

She writes what she loves to read, which are books that can make her laugh, make her smile, make her hurt, and make her feel.

You can follow Jay on Instagram and twitter. You can also find her on her blog where you can subscribe to her newsletter and get teasers and updates first hand, her Facebook page or her fan group on Facebook, or you can contact Jay directly at jay@jaymcleanauthor.com

For publishing rights (Foreign & Domestic) Film, or television, please contact my agent, Erica Spellman-Silverman, at Trident Media Group.









No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget