Friday, September 11, 2015

Book Review: Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

** THERE MAY BE SMALL SPOILERS IN MY REVIEW. NOTHING TOO MAJOR, BUT THOUGHT I'D WARN YOU GUYS ANYWAY! :) **


When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.

Jamie McGuire said it best when she was quoted, "Only Colleen Hoover can pack that much brilliance into one novel." Ugly Love isn't my favorite Colleen Hoover book, but that doesn't mean it's not freaking amazing. Ugly Love is such a unique novel in the way that it's written. We get two perspectives in this book. One being Tate's, the female protagonists, in the present. Then we also got a second perspective with Miles. However, in his chapters it's in the past, years before he meets Tate (or her brother). Those chapters are all about Miles falling for another girl. We get to really see what made him the way he is today. And let me tell you, it's a doozy of a past filled with heartbreak and tears. Now, back to what makes those chapters so unique. I found it really interesting and different that they were written kind of in verse, kind of like a poem, but also not really any of those things at all. HAHA. It's super hard to describe, but it really added to the story. Colleen seems to always throw something different into the mi when it comes to her writing. With Slammed it was the poetry (that was actual poetry). Then with Hopeless it was the twist in the middle and the same goes for Maybe Someday. I just found it really unique and like nothing I had read before. 

After reading this book, I started reading some other people's reviews and I noticed a pattern of everyone saying they cried ugly tears at the end. I found myself thinking, "What? I didn't cry that much." I was totally surprised. I'm a crier in books, movies, TV shows, you name it, but while reading Ugly Love I didn't really cry that much. I think I just had a few stray tears at the end. So, I must be a heartless person or something because while I found the big secret sad I just didn't ugly cry. Thinking back, it's definitely ugly cry worthy though, so bring the tissues. 

When we first meet Tate she's on her way up to her brother, Corbin's, apartment. She has just finished school and is going to move in with him while she starts her new job until she can get on her feet. Her brother is an airline pilot and is rarely home, so it's good deal for Tate. She then runs into a drunk man right outside Corbin's door and doesn't really know what to do. She calls her brother, who's working, and come to find out it's Corbin's best friend and our love interest, Miles Archer. I thought the first meeting was quite comical and definitely something I would expect from CoHo. 

Throughout the first quarter of the book there's MAJOR sexual tension between Miles and Tate. Then Miles is invited to go to Thanksgiving at Corbin and Tate's house. Something changes with Miles and Tate during their trip. Miles's walls lower a little more and Tate gets to see a softer side of him. 

Also during this time in Miles's POV we have met Rachel, his first love. She's the new girl in school and Miles was given the task of showing her to her class. He instantly feels something for her. He wants to know her and make her fall in love with him. However, he doesn't know everything about why Rachel moved there. It turns out their parents may know each other on a deeper level. 

When Tate and Miles finally decide to start their friends with benefits arrangement, Miles gives her two rules. "Don't ask about my past and don't expect a future." To lighten the mood Tate tells Miles that she only has one rule. "What is it?" he asked her and her response was that she wasn't sure, but when she figured it out he would have to follow it. This is when all hell breaks loose. I don't really want to talk too much about the rest because it's truly an amazing book that I just know New Adult Romance lovers would absolutely love. I'm sure most of you have read it, but if you haven't you need to go to your favorite bookstore and get yourself a copy ASAP! Tate and Miles' story is breathtaking and soul crushing, in other words a must read!!!

Here's some more of my favorite quotes from Colleen Hoover's Ugly Love! Enjoy!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget